Michael Backman Ltd - Home  

Large, Chased Silver Bowl
Lucknow, India
19th century

approximate diameter: 26cm, height: 16cm, weight: 1,115g

This large, fine bowl with concave sides is an excellent example of colonial Lucknow silversmithing that was inspired by the local ruling family. It is chased with
twelve cartouches of plants, animals, and what appears to be a tea picker. The cartouches are marked out by elaborate columns of king-like figures emerging
from the mouths of fishes, and which wear crowns modelled on those used by the Nawabs of Oudh, the local rulers. The figures stretch out their arms and hold
between them larger crowns, similarly modelled. The overall motifs is based loosely on the coats of arms used by the Nawabs. The upper and lower registers
are decorated with borders of fish, an emblem frequently associated with the local ruling house. The lower register also has another border of animals amid
shrubbery.

The bowl sits on a low, flat base that has been engraved with an elephant surrounded by a leafy and floral border.

There are various versions of the Nawabs' coats of arms, usually they were modified for each new Nawab as he took the throne. An example of a Nawab coat
of arms was employed on the Jal Pari (the Mermaid Gateway), which was one of the entrances to the Nawabs' Qaisarbargh Palace complex. The gates were
demolished around 1870.

The ruling family of Oudh established themselves as independent hereditary rulers during the collapse of Mughal power in the early eighteenth century.

The strategic position of their capital and the Oudh province, prompted the British to use them as a buffer state between their own territories in the east, and
the west. However the British used the inevitable intrigue and jockeying in the Oudh court to exert greater and greater influence. By the turn of the nineteenth
century they managed to virtually exercise a veto right on the succession. The Nawabs devoted much of their time trying to project the outward signs of their
sovereignty and regality, rather than exerting their power. Accordingly, Lucknow became an important centre for court arts.

Wajid 'Ali Shah was the last Nawab of Oudh. By the mid-nineteenth century, the Nawabs had lost their political and military usefulness to the British, and so the
British under Dalhousie, Governor General of the East India Company, annexed the kingdom outright in 1856 on the grounds of internal misrule. It was in
Oudh where the first great revolt of Indian Independence started in 1857. Meanwhile Wajid 'Ali Shah was exiled to Calcutta with most of his family.

Certainly Wajid 'Ali Shah had shown little interest in administration. He took a personal interest in the arts which reached a high point in Lucknow during his
rule and preferred to spend his time with musicians, poets, concubines and eunuchs. His court was beset with corruption and yet the arts - such as
silversmithing - flourished.

The bowl here is in excellent condition.

References:
Llewellyn-Jones, R. (ed.), Lucknow: City of Illusion (The Alkazi Collection of Photography), Prestel, 2006.
Trivedi, S.D.,
Masterpieces in the State Museum, Lucknow, 1989.
Markel, S.
et al, India's Fabled City: The Art of Courtly Lucknow, LACMA/DelMonico Books, 2010.

Provenance:  private collection, UK.

Inventory no.: 3235

This Item is available - Ask about this item

Click here to see more colonial Indian silver.
Muhammad ali Shah (ruled 1837-42)
wearing the crown of the Nawabs of
Awadh as depicted in the Nawabs' coat
of arms.
The Jal Pari (the Mermaid Gateway), circa 1865. The gates were demolished around 1870.